Many misconceptions still surround epilepsy, despite the fact it is a common neurological disorder. Most people do not know what epilepsy is, or what to do when someone has a seizure, Most are also not aware of epilepsy medications’ side effects, or epilepsy impact on employment and driving.
Education & Seizure First Aid Training
If you or someone you know has epilepsy and you are frustrated by a lack of knowledge in your school, workplace, social or religious group, or other environment, EAWCNY can help. We provide in-person tailored epilepsy education and seizure first aid training programs to a wide variety of audiences including:
- Individual and family education
- Schools – students, classrooms, health classes, teachers, bus drivers, nurses, and other school staff
- Day care centers
- First responders
- Workplaces and businesses
- Community organizations and other nonprofit agencies
We are happy to tailor a presentation to your needs. Contact us today using the form below.
*NEW* On-Demand Seizure Recognition & First Aid Training for School Personnel
EAWCNY is excited to announce that we are now able to offer a 60-minute on-demand training through the Epilepsy Alliance America. Click here to learn more & take the training.
Additional Resources for Parents & Schools
- S.T.E.P.S. Tool – have better conversations with your doctor
- Seizure Action Plan – quickly and effectively communicate to others what to do in the event of a seizure
- Rescue Medication Training Videos – learn from medical professionals the right way to administer these life-saving medications
- Seizure First Aid Poster – know the 5 important steps to seizure first aid
- Seizure First Aid in the Age of COVID Poster – comprehensive seizure first aid information that keeps everyone safe and healthy
- Patient Caregiver Education from NIH
- Information for Parents from CDC
Dinner with the Doctors
EAWCNY also hosts epilepsy educational programs with a variety of medical experts. Each November and at other times during the year, we host Dinners with the Doctor, which often feature an epileptologist or other medical expert. In 2021, EAWCNY will be hosting monthly webinars. Check out all our upcoming epilepsy education events on our Events page or visit our Webinars page for all previously hosted webinars and other educational content.
- September 14 @ 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm
- November 16 @ 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm
EAWCNY has epilepsy educators focused on providing information and support to children, adults, and families dealing with the challenges of epilepsy. Contact the epilepsy educator in your area if you have questions about epilepsy, seizures or wish to learn more about our services.
Western NY/Finger Lakes/Rochester
Education Coordinator/Camp Director
Phone: (585) 442-4430 ext. 2741
Central/Syracuse and Southern Tier/Binghamton Regions
Kristen Oderkirk, MSW
Phone: (315) 477-9777 ext. 2906